Two summers ago my friends, Amanda and Allie, and I had a thing we liked to call “Oreo ball Wednesday”.. Well maybe I was the only one who called it that…But anyways, basically for a few weeks straight we made Oreo Truffles every Wednesday. (Don’t worry, we weren’t the only ones eating them… otherwise our thighs would be HUGE now.. instead we usually just brought them into work so others could enjoy them as well).
I had told them about these little beauties one day when I was reminiscing about the things I used to make when I was younger. You see, my mom and I used to make these every year during the Christmas season. Thanks to a girl scout leader who introduced these to us ages ago, these quickly became a hit at all of the family gatherings that we went to! They were enthralled by the idea and that day we ended up getting all of the ingredients together and making them.
To bring back the tradition we had two years ago, we decided to make Oreo Truffles again while we were all on spring break. Originally we were going to make them on Wednesday like the good ol’ days, but we got tired and lazy and decided to make them on Thursday instead. (There goes the cool name. HA!) What I like about this recipe is that it is a very simple recipe, making it perfect for small group participation plus as you will see in a bit, it can give you quite the work out!
I am not completely sure why we have such an obsession with these little guys… Wait, yes I do! Just make them and you will soon find out! Not only are they easy to make, but they taste amazing and you can make soo many variations to the recipe. Here are just a few of the different variation you can make:
- Use reduced fat cream cheese and Oreos
- Use Mint Oreos (What we did here)
- Put a Jr.Mint or some other type of candy in the middle of the truffle
- Use white chocolate, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or any mix of them
So here is the recipe and some pictures. Hope you enjoy! Oh, and during the freezing periods don’t be afraid to crack open a bottle of wine and turn on a movie.. thats what we did :).
- 8oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 package Oreos
- About 12 oz of chocolate chips
- 1.5 tbs vegetable shortening
- Crush Oreos. To do this you can either use a food processor or a plastic bag and hammer.
- Mix cream cheese and Oreos together. If you are using the bag method you will have to do this part by hand (GREAT WORKOUT!) If you are using a food processor you can just toss the cream cheese right it.
- Put the mix in the freezer for about 30 min.
- Take the mix out of the freezer and roll it into small balls.
- Put the rolled dough back into the freezer for about 30 min.
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate and vegetable shortening over low heat.
- During dipping, only take out about 5 balls at a time (so they don’t all thaw out before you dip them.) Using toothpicks, dip them into the chocolate.
- Place on wax paper and let harden (I usually put them back in the freezer so that they harden faster and then I can eat them sooner 😀 ).
A little advice:
All though you may want to eat many of these in one sitting, I highly recommend not to. I have learned from many past experiences, which all gave me a short sugar rush and then made me crash with a stomach ache due to eating to much rich foods. Two of them are the perfect amount :).